No point asking good questions if you don't know how to listen. Listen for pleasure and pain signals that will influence decision making
- Establish insights required to sell solutions of real value to hidden problems
Base interview script
Doing an activity is painful because you have a problem list with undesired results where progress as been blocked by roadblocks
In a perfect world you would dream scenario avoiding negative side-effects. This could positively impact items of value between low estimate and high estimate per unit of time. With potential for added positive side effects
You would be prepared to lose opportunity cost to move forwards as your motivation to resolve this problem is motivation while others in your situation would likely include market size
Observe how people decide
Focus on triggers that lead to realisation that the current way of solving problems wasn't working or that they would need to make a change in the future.
- When did you first realize you needed something to solve your problem?
- Where were you?
- Were you with someone?
- What were you doing?
Tell me about how you looked for a product to solve your problem. What kind of solutions did you try? Or not try? Why or why not?
Identify emotion changes and what causes shifts
- Did you ask anyone else about what they thought about the purchase you were about to make?
- What was the conversation like when you talked about purchasing the product with trusted confidant?
- Before you decided to proceed did you imagine what using the product would be like?
- Where were you?
- Did you have any anxiety about the purchase?
- Did you hear something about the product that made you nervous? What was it?
- Why did it make you nervous?